Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Peep Show

How's this for a quick upgrade that was a long time coming?

I happen to be lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a window in my bathroom. Unfortunately, it's in my shower. Here's the view:


As soon as I moved in, I realized than unless I wanted to put on a show (no thanks!), I needed to cover up that window asap - but how? Well, I subscribe to a 'use-what-you-have-on-hand' mentality, so here's what I came up with on move-in weekend:


Yep, a couple layers of bubble wrap (including one in a lovely shade of pink!) did the trick - for awhile. Frankly, it got annoying pretty quickly, but despite shopping around (a LOT!), I couldn't find a workable solution.

Then I happened upon exactly what I was looking for on eBay one night:


It's a self-adhesive (not permanent, no glue or sticky residue) frosted film. It comes in lots of different designs, but personally I like the clean, simple look of plain frosted glass.

And, I have to tell you, this stuff was super easy (and fun) to install. I just cut it to size, sprayed the window and the back of the film with a mix of water and a bit of dish soap, and then stuck it on the window. Spraying it first makes it really easy to get it into place, then you just use a soft cloth to smooth out all the air bubbles. Twenty minute job, max.

(Of note: this shipped from South Korea in just 11 days - including weekends! I wish my Etsy items I ship to the US would travel so quickly! Also, the roll I bought was not quite wide enough for my window, so I left a tiny little border all around the outside. Oh, and watch out for lint - it's a lot tougher to 'squeegee' out than the air bubbles!)

Time will tell how it holds up to getting wet on a regular basis, but from what I've read, I'm optimistic that it's going to work.

And now I don't need to worry about flashing the neighbours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you think!